Friday, March 2, 2012

Philippine Customs Unreasonable Tax Charges

I think Philippines is the only country in the world who is overcharging customs tax. I was expecting a package to arrive within 2 weeks but it's already been 1 month and i didn't get a notice from Taguig Post Office. I started to get worried coz i was advised that i will get the package in just 10 days. I called the Pasay Central Post office and i was given another # to call for package tracking. A lady answered and i was asked some details and was told to call the next day. The lady asked me to get a pen and a paper and jot down what she dictated. It's a letter to Taguig postman stating that my package is ok to release. I wrote it down in a clean blank band paper. I bring an id with me and some pesos. I went to the post office with my uncle. When we got there, i showed the handwritten letter to the postman. He was busy doing something so i waited for few minutes. I looked around and i saw a familiar box. He asked me if i saw my package already and i said yes. He read the letter and created a parcel notice and i was told to go to the cashier to pay P40. When i came back, my uncle was to talking to the customs in another table. I seated and talk to the guy. He gave me papers about the rules and regulations of the Bureau of Customs. I started to feel something fishy. That's the first time ever happened to me coz i used to get my package there once or 2x a year but the postman will just open the package and it's done, no charges or whatsoever. Then the guy started to make a computation based on the value declared by my sender. Omgg to my shocked, i don't understand why they declared it 80 euros. I don't know what to think at that time but i'm starting to panic. Then i saw the tax i have to pay. It's a staggering P2200 pesos. I wanna faint!!! 80 euros is like P4500. It means the tax cost like 50% of the declared *shocked* Whoever made that kind of rules should be burned to hell! Most especially the items i received were just late Christmas gifts and not for commercial purposes. The custom guy reasoned out why the tax is so expensive is because they want to reach a target in revenue. What the fuck!!! Why do they have to extort money from us??? When i said that the tax is too much, he gave a discount and made it P1870. I wasn't able to get the package coz i only have P200 with me. I told the postman that i will just let my uncle pick up the package in the afternoon and i will make an authorization letter. He said there's no need. Also he suggested that he will talk to the custom guy. We can just give him P500 to be able to release the package, without receipt. OK, so the money will go to their pockets of course but it's better than paying P2200 pfff!

No comments:

Post a Comment